Monday, June 14, 2010

A Repair and an Addition

My daughter goes to day care because both my husband and I work full time. I love my babysitter she is so fantastic with all the kids and makes day care/babysitting every day more like preparing for school. I love it!

Ok, back on point...
My babysitter asked if I could fix this shirt for her (it took me like 6 weeks or more to get to it because I kept forgetting.) She asked if I could fix the straps and add bra cups into it. So I told her I would try.
The straps were being held on to the shirt by the lace around the top. The lace on one side had begun to fray and was going to tear off completely at any moment. Repairing the straps was easy. I just cut the straps off and reattached them to the shirt in the same place. We lost about half an inch of lace on the very end, but overall.. NOT a big deal.
Secondly, she asked me to add bra cups to the shirt. I was not sure on how this was going to work. But it went smoother than expected. I went to Joann's and bought a bikini bra insert. I sewed a lightweight cotton fabric to the side of the cup that would be against the skin. The texture of the bra cup its self would not have been comfortable. Once I did that, I sewed the cups to the inner lining of the shirt. This was great because there was already a lining. I didn't have to make one so the seams would not show on the front of the shirt. If there had not been a lining, I would have made one and attached it. The only thing I would have done differently really is the serging. I did not think to serge the liner on the cup to the cup until after I had already attached it to the shirt. I serged it, but it was not as neat as it could have been. But I'm still glad I did it. The edge of the cup looks a lot neater now even if its not perfect.

I am interested in how to perfect the built in bra. It was a bit difficult to figure out how I was going to approach it, but I am looking forward to working with that element some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment