Saturday, August 28, 2010

Scarf Dress

My mom loves to try new things. Especially things that involve something shiny or something that can actually keep her attention for longer than 5 minutes. For several months she did belly dancing. It was a fun and interesting way to help her lose some weight. While she was doing the belly dancing she acquired several scarves, hip skirts, and wraps that make a lot of noise. At some point she ended up with this scarf:

After seeing this scarf the only thing I could thing of was what an awesome top to a dress it would be. I asked my mom if I could have it. She did not understand my vision at first but was interested in how I planned to work it out. So I did.


I folded the scarf in half long ways. After that I serged the front panel of the skirt to the center of the scarf. The back is left draped open and the scarf is just tied to hold the top on. Total time for this project was probably about an hour. MAYBE an hour and a half. Very simple black stretchy kind of material. A bit of a body hugging kind of form is what I am going for.

This project was fun because it was so fast and simple and the final product was exactly what I wanted. Usually it takes me forever to decide on or find the materials, then make the pattern, then cut, sew, blah blah blah. This was great because there are only 3 pieces to the whole dress. Scarf, front panel, back panel.

On a side note...

I was in the process of putting this on the dress form and this happened:


The dress was on the form, but not pulled down all the way. I really liked the way that the scarf drapes down for the scoop neck and then over the shoulders. I think I will have to play with that idea. The simple tube dress with the attached and draped scarf. I like it. Another idea to add to the list.

2 comments:

  1. I am a fan of the fitted dress. LOVE the open back. Not so much a fan of the second. Looks too old one the dress form. May look different on a body and styled, but eh on the form. Love love love the other first one.
    ~~Randee

    ReplyDelete