Friday, August 27, 2010

Dress from Altered Pattern

I originally set out to make a sixty's mod kind of dress. Not really my own person style, but it was a cute pattern. After getting the back and front sewn together I realized (and with some thoughts from my husband) that the dress would look much better without sleeves. So this is we ended up with...

The dress originally had 3/4 length sleeves with big cuffs on the bottom.

(http://www.simplicity.com/p-3174-missesmiss-petite-dress.aspx the black and white one in the bottom corner if you are interested)


Like I said, I changed things after the front and back were already sewn together. To get the racer back style I put a tank top over the dress and traced the outline of the arm holes. To finish the arm hole i cut strips of fabric on the bias and attached it.

The collar was a pain. But then again, they always are. Originally I planned to add a jewelry piece where the top of the cut out and the collar connect. It didn't look right. The shape of the point of one side didn't come out right. When I sewed it, I sewed it at closer to a 90 degree angle rather than a gentle curve. I didn't notice that it was like that and I clipped it. I don't like collars so I didn't redo it. I was also supposed to make it so that a button was on the collar. I opted not to add that part so that I could add the jewelry piece. Since that didn't work out, I overlapped the collars and straight stitched across them to hold them together.

I also installed an invisible zipper in the back. The pattern calls for a hook and eye at the top of the zipper, but I installed it so that I don't need it. Hooks and eyes are a hassle. I haven't learned how to apply them properly and/or neatly.

It didn't turn out 100%. But again I learned from it. I learned if you are gonna make alterations you should probably plan that out BEFORE you sew things together. I also learned that I need to remember to measure one side against the other. Its a little hard to see, but the fabric on either side of the front cut out is not totally even. My technique applying bias binding needs some work too.

I do love this dress. The style is fantastic. The fabric has so much color and texture. At $4.00 a yard you can't go wrong. After this dress was made I still have enough to make a cool hippie skirt. So, be prepared, you may see this fabric again in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment