Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Moogle Costume

A friend of mine called and asked me if I would be able to make a Moogle costume for his young daughter for Halloween.

(If you don't know what a Moogle is and you are curious... please go to the following link http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Moogle)

I have played several Final Fantasy games over the years and the idea of making this costume seemed like a lot of fun. I bought the fur and the costume. Went out to their house and did pattern fittings. And then jumped on making the costume. Not gonna lie, it was harder than I thought it would be.

Working with the fur snapped about 5 needles. Because of how long the fur was it kept snagging the tip of the needle and pulling it back. So, every time my needle lowered it was at risk to hit the plate and snap. I also owe my mom some needles because she broke some helping me with this. But yeah, thick fur = sad. We also had to make a lining because the wrong side of the fur was SUPER scratchy. The lining itself was not so bad, but it was one more thing to add to an already very thick piece of material. My serger also hated the fabric. 2 layers of fur and 2 layers of lining. It was rough. I definitely learned about working with fake fur. I think I might avoid it if possible in the future lol.

The other thing that I ran up against was the hood. It was difficult because of the pom pom red ball on top. figuring out how to A) make it stand up and B) make the pom pom were both difficult. In the end we used a clear Christmas tree ornament with red cotton over it and sewing pipe cleaners into the hood to hold it up. Not 100% perfect, but decent. Ultimately the mom and dad of the Moogle bought their own red shiny ornament to replace mine because they thought it looked better.

The wings on the back were purple cotton with batting inside. and they were velcroed to the suit so they could be worn or taken off depending on the situation.

Below are the pictures of the costume on and off my friend's daughter.



1 comment: